I know we’re all missing the theme parks right now, and that’s why the Universal Orlando Resort has been sharing some of their favorite recipes, so we can make them at home. With new favorites from the theme parks, staples of Universal CityWalk, and even one from the resorts, these at-home versions will help chase those theme park blues away—at least a little.
Check out the 5 recipes below, and if you missed it, see our recent post about the science of Universal Orlando as well. If you’re looking for more information on the park closures see our previous story here.
Confetti Milkshake from Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen
One of the most popular creations from this CityWalk favorite location, the Confetti Milkshake is perfect for a birthday, milestone moment, a random Tuesday dessert, just cause. It’s fairly large so great for sharing, (or keep it all for yourself).
- 3 large scoops of vanilla ice cream
- ¾ cup milk (any kind will work!)
- 3 teaspoons of rainbow sprinkles, divided
- 2 slices of rainbow vanilla cake (box mix is great!)
- 2 teaspoons buttercream frosting (recipe below if you don’t have premade)
- ¾ cup whipped cream
- 1 jumbo straw!
- Bake the cake according to box instructions and set aside (cake should be fully cool)
- Now, make the buttercream frosting (recipe below) and set aside
- Grab a fun cup and spread one teaspoon of frosting on the rim of the glass (bonus points if you have a Toothsome glass!)
- Using one teaspoon of sprinkles, rim the frosted glass with sprinkles
- Next, grab your blender and place 3 large scoops of ice cream inside
- Pour 1 teaspoon of sprinkles, milk and 1 slice of cake into blender
- Blend on medium high until everything is mixed and smooth
- Pour milkshake into cup and top off with whipped cream
- Place remaining slice of frosted cake on top of whipped cream
- Garnish with remaining sprinkles and place straw into the shake to ENJOY!
Note: You can follow this recipe and use any combination of ice cream, cake and sprinkles!
Buttercream Frosting Recipe
Yields approximately two cups
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Cream ½ cup of room temperature butter with a hand mixer, paddle attachment of a stand mixer, or a wooden spoon until smooth and fluffy
- Gradually mix in 2 cups of powdered sugar until fully incorporated
- Mix in 1 ½ teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Pour in 2 tablespoons of milk and beat for an additional 3-4 minutes or until everything is smooth and creamy
Green Eggs & Ham Tots from Green Eggs and Ham Cafe
One of the newest offerings available at Universal’s Islands of Adventure, you could get this dish at the Green Eggs and Ham Cafe inside of Seuss Landing. Now I know you already know how to make the Pizza Tots (just like HHN’s Pizza Fries but with tater tots,) remember, sauce goes on the bottom to help keep them crispy, but today let’s dig into how to make those famous Green Eggs and Ham Tots. Makes one serving.
- 2 cups worth of tater tots (a bag of frozen ones will do just fine)
- 2 tablespoons worth of diced ham (about 2 slices worth)
- ¼ cup of white cheddar queso (store-bought is great)
- 2 Green Eggs (OH. Do you not have those? OK, OK. Two just regular eggs, scrambled together. And below are the ingredients for the spinach pesto we’ll be whipping up to make ‘em green…)
- 2 cups of spinach
- ¼ cup of chopped Italian parsley
- 5 basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan
- ¾ cup of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- We need to prepare the spinach pesto first, so combine the spinach, parsley, basil leaves, Parmesan, and olive oil all into a blender and pulse until the ingredients are mixed together.
- In a bowl, mix together one tablespoon of the spinach pesto with ½ cup of scrambled egg. Place egg mixture into a small baking dish into the preheated oven for six minutes. Once finished, remove eggs, fluff, and set aside.
- Prepare your tater tots according to package directions then set aside on a paper-towel-lined plate to remove any excess grease.
- Place queso into a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for 20 seconds.
- Place tater tots into a tin or a small oven-safe baking dish. Cover them with the warm green eggs and about ½ of the ham, place into oven (still at 375℉) for about 3 minutes.
- Pull tots out of the oven and pour queso over the entire plate, ensuring proper coverage. Garnish with remaining ham.
- Eat your heart to three sizes
Irish Soda Bread From Finnegan’s Bar & Grill
Anyone that knows me knows I LOVE Finnegan’s Bar & Grill. You often will get better food, great service, and better value eating here than at nearly any of the quick service locations at Universal Studios Florida. One of the best parts about eating at this full service location—besides the amazing ambiance, free soda refills, and live entertainment of course—is the complimentary Irish Soda Bread. Oh, and don’t forget to try the apple butter spread. Amazing.
- 5 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of iodized salt
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- ½ cup of unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- A Whole Lot Of Apple Butter
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Mix 4 cups of the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder, the salt, and the sugar all together in a large mixing bowl. (Yep, we left out 1 cup of flour, but just hold on tight to it, it’ll have its time to shine.)
- Add the buttermilk and butter to your mixture of dry ingredients from Step Two and mix all ingredients together. (Except for that 1 cup of flour!)
- Ensure all items are well mixed. Your dough may be slightly sticky, so feel free to use some of that 1 cup of remaining flour to help manage the dough.
- Tear off about 10-12 baseball-sized dough balls and place them onto a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Use the remaining flour to dust each dough ball before placing the tray into the oven.
- Cook for 12-14 minutes.
- Smother with apple butter and enjoy!
Big Apple Grilled Cheese from TODAY Cafe
The Big Apple Grilled Cheese from TODAY Cafe at Universal Studios Florida is a fun twist on grilled cheese that combines the savory flavors of different melted cheeses with tomatoes and the crisp sweetness of apple, all in one tasty sandwich.
- 2 slices of white bread
- 2 slices of cheddar cheese
- 2 slices of Swiss cheese
- 1 slice of pepper jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon roasted plum tomato (recipe below)
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4 thin slices of Red Delicious apple
- Butter two slices of white bread with softened butter
- Remove the core of the apple and cut into 4 wedges
- Thinly slice one wedge of apple and set aside for later
- Place bread butter side down into non-stick fry pan on medium heat
- Begin to build the sandwich by laying the pepper jack and Swiss cheese on one slice
- Allow the cheese to begin to melt from the heat below
- Once the cheese begins to soften, place apples and tomatoes on top of the slice with cheddar
- Using a spatula, flip the side with the pepper jack onto the other side and press for one minute
- Ensure that both sides are golden brown, remove from pan and place onto cutting board
- Cut in half and enjoy the cheesiness!
- Serve with your favorite side of fruit, potato salad, or whatever your heart desires
Roasted Plum Tomato Recipe
- 1 plum tomato
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut one plum tomato into quarters
- Place onto baking tray with parchment paper
- Season with salt and pepper and a teaspoon of olive oil
- Place into oven at 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to cool down
- Once cooled, chop tomatoes to desired size
- Set aside for later when making your sandwich
White & Green Pizza from Sal’s Market Deli at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel
If you’ve ever stayed at the gorgeous Loews Portofino Bay Hotel than you’ve likely grabbed a sandwich or a pizza pie from Sal’s Market Deli. Their white pizzas are absolutely out of this world, and this recipe for Sal’s Market Deli White & Green Pizza let’s you bring it on home.
Your favorite store-bought or homemade dough will work
White Ricotta Cheese Sauce:
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan and romano cheese
- Caramelized white onions (These can be purchased pre-made from specialty food stores, or made by slowly sautéing sliced white onions with 1 tbsp of olive oil over low heat until they turn light caramel brown)
- Crispy bacon, chopped
- Sliced green olives
- Baby arugula
Black Pepper Vinaigrette:
- 2 tbsp. agave
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Make the ricotta cheese sauce by melting the butter with 2 tbsp.of extra virgin olive oil over low heat in a pan on the stovetop. Stir or whisk in the ricotta cheese and parmesan/romano cheese until fully incorporated and warmed through, remove from heat and put aside.
- Form your chosen pizza dough into pizza shape.
- Cover dough with desired amount of sauce, caramelized onions, sliced green olives, and bacon.
- Bake at 400°F until golden brown, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- While pizza is baking, make the black pepper vinaigrette by whisking together the agave, white wine vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper. (No whisk? Grab a glass jar or water bottle with a top and shake the ingredients together.)
- When baked through, remove the pizza from the oven and top with some baby arugula tossed in the black pepper vinaigrette before serving.